As of March 15, 2020, the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) has assessed the public health risk associated with COVID-19 as low for Canada. Public health risk is continually reassessed as new information becomes available. We are keeping up to date with government and public health advice, specifically within Canada and British Columbia.
As of March 15, 2020, WorksafeBC and the BC Centre for Disease Control are currently advising that going out in public is safe. We are following the precautionary measures of the BC Centre for Disease Control and Vancouver Coastal Health at Tower Fitness.
Their current guidance is to follow the same procedures as what is recommended during cold and flu season. This includes:
• Washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
• Using hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available
• Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
• Covering your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing into the crick of your elbow, with a tissue and then throwing the tissue in the trash
• Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched objects and commonly-shared surfaces to reduce the risk of spreading viruses
• Increase social distancing and forgo usual greeting practices such as handshakes
• Avoiding others who are unwell
• Staying home when you are sick.
• Healthy eating and staying well rested
• Self-isolating for 14 days after having returned from a trip outside of Canada
For our employees we have therefore put in place the following practices:
• Within the office, showroom and shop, Tower Fitness will ensure frequent cleaning practices for personal and commonly-shared hard surfaces such as tabletops, doorknobs, telephones and keyboards using anti-bacterial wipes, etc
- Within the office, showroom and shop, Tower Fitness will ensure frequent cleaning practices for personal and commonly-shared hard surfaces such as tabletops, doorknobs, telephones and keyboards using anti-bacterial wipes, etc.
- All service technicians have been equipped with a stock of disposable gloves they are to wear at all times while at a customer’s facility and dispose of after each visit
• All service technicians have been given their own hand sanitizer to use and are advised to wash their hands with soap and water as often as they can
• All service technicians are provided disinfecting fitness equipment wipes, that is safe for fitness equipment, to wipe down the fitness equipment prior to and after servicing
• All service technicians and office staff are to practice social distancing (approximately 6 feet away from others in the same room) and forego handshakes with others
• All employees are to stay home when feeling unwell, and self-isolate for 14 days
• Any staff returning from an international trip, including from the USA, will not be allowed to come to the workplace for 14 days after the return to Canada, until further notice
Going forward, Tower Fitness will continue to refer to Vancouver Coastal Health, the BC Centre for Disease Control, and the Public Health Agency of Canada for guidance.
We recognize we also may be impacted by some customers potentially temporarily closing fitness facilities or the like and will be monitoring that situation.
Tower Fitness believes we all have a role to play in curbing the spread of COVID-19 while relying on the expert health agencies for guidance .